Tom Peters’ X12/EXCELLENCE2012: The Search Continues!
1. EXCELLENCE. A sterling reason for being. A way of life. A personal choice. (Besides, if not Excellence, what’s the point?)
2. Organizations exist to serve. PERIOD. (Selfless service to others is the moral basis for all enterprise. PERIOD.)
3. “Business has to give people enriching, rewarding lives … or it’s simply not worth doing.”—Richard Branson
4. To put the customer first is to put our people ahead of the customer. (Leaders’ Job #1: “In service” to staff!)
4A. “You have to treat your employees like customers.”—Herb Kelleher, on his “only” success secret
5. Obligation on several levels (including community/country) to maximize efforts to develop our people—one at a time.
6. The demise of jobs as we’ve known them—the accelerating tech tsunami. (Education revolution. NOW. Or doom.)
7. “Productivity through people” in truly small organizations—the ultimate national productivity multiplier.
8. The training imperative. (#1 “C-level”?) (Every employee has superstretch growth plan—managers evaluated thereon.)
9. The “d”iversity (lower case “d”) imperative. (Variety of every sort is effectiveness’ handmaiden.)
10. The teamwork imperative. (Goal: “I’m 100X better!”—top doc on power of Mayo Clinic’s dogmatic “team medicine.”)